Wednesday, September 10, 2008

An Aside

Hi, all. Apologies for being away so long - with the beginning of the semester, I haven't been doing much creative writing. But, I have workshop this evening, and am torn between two poems. Which should I turn in? The options are "Tysketöser" and "Dear Doctor Oppenheimer." See below, and vote away!



(* Tyskețser РNorwegian women who slept with German soldiers during World War II. They were denounced as traitors by the Norwegian government, arrested, and sent to labor camps after the war.)


****Edit: Poems have been removed due to their pending publication

4 comments:

Infosciphi said...

Both are good, but I think I like "Dear Doctor Oppenheimer" better. :-D

warmaiden said...

Thanks! :) I like it better too, actually, but I can't decide if I should be trying to impress people in workshop (I realize this is not what workshop is for, but I feel the need anyway) or sending them the crappier poem so I can get some feedback on how to revise it...

Cheesymac said...

Dr. Oppenheimer actually opposed the weaponization of the nuclear reactions he proved to work. The initial Manhattan Project was a proof of the energy potentials, and soon after that first blast, he worked hard to inhibit the development.

Granted, he was still part of the project, and had to know if it was successful, that it would be weaponized...

Helen Rickerby said...

Hi Colleen. Your workshop will have been and gone now, but I agree with infosciphi that Dear Doctor Oppenheimer is a more successful poem - it seems more finished and polished to me. The other is more conversational and raw, which is perhaps what you're after, but for me a little too direct.

I can see the dilemma - take the one to impress, or the one that will benefit most from feedback? What did you decide? How did it go?