Sunday, April 27, 2008

Of Temptation and Used Book Stores

*sigh* I am now a slave to McKay's. I schlepped over another box of books I have no need for, and went browsing. And by browsing, I mean shamelessly stocking up on everything I wanted in anticipation of my trade-in credit.


I have been a collectress of cookbooks for a long time. I love to cook. And I love to cook big. My problem is that when I live by myself in an apartment with a practically-nonexistent kitchen, I don't cook. It just doesn't seem worth the effort just for myself. This has been disappointing on a number of levels, since I love being creative in the kitchen. It has also been one of a number of factors that has helped me put back on the 40 pounds I dropped back in the first half of 2007. grumble Anyway, most of my gourmet cookbooks don't help, nor does my propensity to cook for 10 people at once. So I picked up a few books on smaller dinners for two, and one-pot type recipes, since when cooking for one I can't be bothered to dirty up many dishes. Funny, because I *love* using up as many pots, pans, and other kitchen goodies when I'm whipping up something like Thanksgiving. So, I picked up the following form the cookery section:


Better Homes & Gardens Great Cooking for Two


Skinny Beef


Weekends are Entertaining: from Cocktail Parties and Brunches to Dinner for Two or Twenty


Crowd-Pleasing Potluck


One-Dish Dinners


The Everything One-Pot Cookbook


Casserole & One-Pot: Tasty Recipes for Every Day


Almost Vegetarian Entertaining


Jane Butel's Southwestern Kitchen


I am heartily impressed with the cookbook selection at McKay's, and am happily rooting through the remainder of my old books so that I can prep for my next visit.


I also acquired a number of books on writing, poetry, and general interesting stuffs:


Learning Irish by Michael O'Siadhail (I've been dying to learn Irish for forever)


The Great Thoughts by George Seldes (a collection of quotes)


Descriptionary: A Thematic Dictionary


The Cold of Poetry by Lyn Hejinian


Station Island by Seamus Heaney


Seamus Heaney: Selected Poems, 1966-1987


Her Blue Body Everything We Know by Alice Walker


There are Men Too Gentle to Live Among Wolves by James Kavanaugh


Dien Cai Dau by Yusef Komunyakaa


Edna St. Vincent Millay: Collected Sonnets


Borderlands/La Frontera: The New Mestiza by Gloria Anzaldua


Another Republic: 17 European and South American Writers Edited by Charles Simic and Mark Strand


Hunger's Table: Women, Food & Politics by Margaret Randall


Writing Poems, 5th ed. by Robert Wallace & Michelle Boisseau


In the Palm of Your Hand: The Poet's Portable Workshop by Steve Kowit


Beyond the Words: The Three Untapped Sources of Creative Fulfillment for Writers by Bonni Goldberg


Versos Sencillos/Simple Verses by Jose Marti


Bucolics by Maurice Manning


I'm particularly excited about Bucolics, which I have heard is fabulous. My MFA mentor from this past semester, Jeanie Thompson, write a really great review of it, and I've read excerpts from it. Because I am a fan of the short line and of an organic rhythm, I'm looking forward to digging into it. I wonder if I might be able to add it to my reading list for this next semester...I'm working on building a preliminary bibliography to pitch to whomever I get for my next mentor. I wonder if they'll mind that I hope to include Milosz, Heaney, Manning, Eliot, Komunyakaa, Eavan Boland, Pablo Neruda and William Carlos Williams. Do you think that's too schizo?

No comments: